Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Love Chicken Pie

Growing up, my mom's chicken pie was one of my favorite dishes.  I had never made it myself, assuming it was very labor intensive, but the other night I stumbled upon my own version that ended up being super simple, and tasted just like my mom's! 

Here's my easy Chicken Pie recipe.  It's a little unrefined, but you can get the gist:

Ingredients:
Fresh boneless chicken breasts or tenderloins
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
Frozen Mixed Veggies (carrots, green beans, peas, and corn)
Salt & Pepper
Two Pie Crusts

Put chicken and Cream of Mushroom (along with 1 can of water, according to soup directions) into the crock pot, and cook on High until chicken is cooked through.  You may need to stir the water and cream of mushroom soup to blend. 

Take out chicken and add frozen veggies.  Watch your amounts, because you want to have enough Cream of Mushroom to Chicken to Veggies.  Allow the veggies to start cooking in the Soup as you dice the chicken.  Return chicken to crock pot. 

*If you have extra chicken, you can add another can of soup & can of water and more veggies for two batches, or you can set chicken aside for something else.  I used the extra chicken for lunches and dinners for my toddler.

Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste and allow to cook until veggies are heated through.

Lay one pie crust in bottom of pie pan, and press in to fit it snugly.  Pour in chicken/veggie mixture.

Lattice crust is easy!  Roll out your second pie crust and using a pizza cutter, cut crust into strips.  Lay strips across top of pie, half going one way and half going the other.  Lift alternating strips to weave the lattice.  Use excess dough around edges to fold and pinch and seal the crust.  I used a fork for added seal.

Cook at 425º for 30-45 minutes, until crust is golden brown.  There ya go!  Delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment