Thursday, August 2, 2012

Easy Food - Broccoli Instead of Meatballs

So I LOVE easy recipes and tips and tricks in the kitchen.  I also love healthy food!  My maiden name is DiSabatino, and even though I'm really only 1/4 Italian, the food from that country is definitely my favorite.  I make spaghetti A LOT.  I make it for lunch, for dinner, I eat it hot and cold.  I could just eat noodles and sauce, but my husband loves meatballs.  I am also partial to having chunks in my spaghetti, but not really a fan of meatballs on a regular basis.  Usually, I buy frozen broccoli, cook it in the microwave, and then throw it in instead of meatballs.  But, I just found a super-easy way to do the same thing!  I cook my pasta and then when there's 2 minutes left on the timer, I throw fresh broccoli florets in the boiling water.  This blanches the broccoli to exactly the right tenderness, and then all you have to do is add sauce, and voila!  Spaghetti with broccoli instead of meatballs!  


I made this with Newman's Own sauce, and I added some Hunt's Diced Tomatoes w/ Garlic, Basil, & Oregano for extra chunkiness.  You can also add chicken, sausage, cheese, and if you're still hankering for beef, meatballs will still go very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment