Sunday, August 5, 2012

Preggo Clothes

There's a lot that goes along with being pregnant.  Probably the biggest change for most women is the big belly!  While it can be a little annoying when you can't button your pants anymore, or when your tummy starts peeking out of the bottom of some of your more slim fitting shirts, pregnancy can also give you a chance to be creative and come up with some really cute preggo clothes!

While I think we are fortunate in this generation to have so many stylish maternity options, we also have the benefit of long and loose tops being in style!  When I was pregnant with my first child, I went to Urban Outfitters and bought a whole bunch of clothes that were not "maternity" but they worked for most of my pregnancy.  With this pregnancy, I got a lot bigger a lot quicker.  My pants already do not fit, and I am already obviously pregnant.  I took out all my maternity clothes pretty much right away.

But at the same time, I have been able to put together some really cute outfits from my normal wardrobe.  I think my favorite article of clothing that is totally in style and super cute with a preggo belly is the maxi dress!  A lot of stores are selling them right now, and most of them are available in an empire waist style and stretchy jersey fabrics, that fit just right.  Maxi dresses are comfortable ad effortless, and should really only be worn with flats, so there's no concern with high heels during pregnancy.  They also can go from day to night, and if it's cooler you can pair your dress with a jean jacket and give your look that effortless-coolness you want - even when you're pregnant!

I also love drapey cardigans, and anything that fits above my belly.  If you buy a couple pairs of maternity pants (skinny jeans!) - and don't forget the pairs of stretchy leggings you already have - and layer long and loose tops with drapey cardigans, you'll look totally in style, and not like you're wearing maternity clothes!  If a loose top doesn't give you much shape, just tie a ribbon or belt above your belly, and voila!  Instant empire waist!  I'm one of those people who likes to accentuate my belly so it's obvious that I'm pregnant.  And, don't forget that you can wear as many accessories as you want!

If you're creative, you can have some really cute preggo clothes that will not only look great for everyday, but also will be awesome in any pictures you take!  After all, don't you want to look back and have some of those cute preggo pics you see on Pinterest??


I'm only 20 weeks pregnant, and look how huge I am this time!

This outfit is actually put together with items I bought even before I was having kids.  
The dress is an empire-waisted dress from J.Crew, and the wrap cardigan is from Target.  
The only thing that is somewhat new is the hat (J.Crew Factory Store, Men's)!

No comments:

Post a Comment